Bharti Airtel is the a pan-Indian mobile phone operator in true sense. It is the only telecommunications company that operates in all the twenty three circles in
It is one of the earliest mobile companies in
Name: Bharti Airtel Limited.
Established: On July 07, 1995, (as a public limited company)
Number of shares: 1,898,101,604 (as of September 30, 2008).
Price of shares: Closing BSE share price = Rs. 636.65
Amount of capital: Rs. 1209 billion approximately (as of February 27, 2009).
Address: Bharti Airtel Limited (A Bharti Enterprise)
Qutab Ambience (at Qutab Minar),
Tel. No.: +91 11 4166 6000
Fax No.: +91 11 4166 6011/12
Bharti Airtel is one of the earliest mobile phone companies in
Bharti Airtel has more than 82 million customers (as of October 31, 2008). Out of these 82 million customers 80,199,747 are GSM subscribers and 2,549,043 are Telemedia Service subscribers who either subscribe for voice or broadband internet provided through DSL.
Chennai - 2,011,299
Mumbai - 2,718,885
Kolkata - 2,178,061
Andhra Pradesh - 8,094,328
Karnataka - 8,995,538
Tamil Nadu - 5,392,458
Kerala - 2,013,424
Haryana - 1,170,378
Uttar Pradesh (West) - 2,071,723
Uttar Pradesh (East) - 5,124,948
Rajasthan - 6,032,480
Madhya Pradesh - 4,040,871
Himachal Pradesh - 887,594
Orissa - 2,496,123
North Eastern States - 766,763
Jammu & Kashmir - 1,391,606
Bharti Airtel has operations all over
In December 2008, Bharti Airtel extended its business in
Bharti-Televentures Limited, a subsidiary of Bharti Airtel made a joint venture deal with famous mobile phone maker Research In Motion (RIM). In October 2004, Bharti Airtel announced to launch BlackBerry Wireless Solution. In addition, Apple iPhone, the most popular smart phone in the world, is now currently available in
- Bharti Airtel launched world’s first online Windows-based Online Desktop through Airtel broadband. The desktop system has been created by Microsoft and Nivio. Thorough this service, subscriber will be able to access a secure online desktop from anywhere. Subscribers would also be able to rent software per month. For Rs. 99 they would get 5 GB online storage. They would also get the ‘Retail Pack’ for Rs. 199 which contains 5GB online storage space, free Anti Virus protection, Windows-based operation system, automatic backup. For Rs. 399 and Rs. 699 per month they would get a Windows based operating system and MS Office.
- In July 2008, Bharti Airtel launched mChek, a mobile bill payment and prepaid recharge system. The service also included insurance premium payments for ICICI Prudential, payments for the Delhi-Gurgaon toll plaza, payments at eCommerce websites such as Indiatimes shopping, Yatra.com,Futurebazaar.com, SIFYMall.com, HomeShop18.com, movie ticketing sites like BookMyShow.com, MakeMyTrip.com and Yatra.com and redBus.in for bus ticket booking. On January 20, 2009, Bharti Airtel announced that its mChek subscriber base crossed more than one million.
- On January 19, 2009 Bharti Airtel launched its internet television, Airtel Digital TV. On that same day, it also launched “Triple Play Advantage.” It comes with telephony, broadband and Entertainment services to subscribers. The service was launched in
, Gurgaon and Noida. Delhi
- In the fourth quarter of the Fiscal year 2006-07 Bharti Airtel added the highest number of customers;5.3 million. In that same year, it also added the highest number of net customers; 18 million.
- In May 2008, news came out that Bharti Airtel was looking into buying the South African telecom company MTN Group which has operations in 21 countries in Africa and the
Middle East. According to the report of The Financial Times, Bharti was planning to pay $45 billion to gain 100% stake in MTN which would make it the largest overseas acquisition ever by any Indian business organization but things did not work out because in the negotiation table, MTN almost wanted to make Bharti a subsidiary of the new company.
- Bharti Airtel and its chairman and managing director, Sunil Bharti Mittal won many awards and recognitions. In 2007, Sunil Bharti Mittal won Padma Bhushan the highest Indian civilian decoration. Bharti Airtel was named third largest Wireless Operator in the world, largest private Integrated Telecom company in
India, largest wireless operator in Indiaand the largest private fixed line operator in . India
(This entry was first published in February 2009. Because of a technical problem, the entry had to be deleted and I am reposting again now.)
Bharti Airtel- official website