Founded in 1995, IDEA Cellular is currently one of the leading GSM mobile service providers in
Before getting further into talking about IDEA Cellular, it is important to talk a little bit about Aditya Birla Group, the owners of IDEA Cellular. The Aditya Birla Group is one of the leading business houses in
Name: IDEA Cellular
Brand vision: To be the most customer-focused mobile service brand, continuously innovating to help liberate our customers from the shackles of time & space.
Brand values: Innovate. Stimulate. Liberate ….
Chairman: Mr. Kumar Mangalam Birla
- The entire Indian region is divided into 22 (in some places it is mentioned 23) circles that are divided into three categories based on their economic potential: A,B and C.
- Currently, IDEA Cellular exploits more than 60% of
’s telephony potential. It operates in some of the top Indian circles. These are: Andhra Pradesh & India Delhi(inclusive of NCR), Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh & Chattisgarh, Mumbai, Maharashtra & Goa, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh (W), and Uttar Pradesh (E).
- The 13 circles where IDEA Cellular operates are further categorized into established and new service areas.
- Established services areas include: The established service areas are
Delhi, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra, Haryana, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh (West).
- New Service areas include: Uttar Pradesh (East), Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, Mumbai, Karnataka and
- IDEA Cellular is also going to expand its business in Orissa and Tamil Nadu region which will become the company’s first stepping stone towards becoming a pan Indian mobile operator.
IDEA Cellular was created in 1995. Initially, it was named Birla Communications Ltd. and it obtained licenses to provide GSM based services in the
Out of the total 320,330,393 mobile connections in
Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh - 4,137,200
Andhra Pradesh - 4,325,204
Kerala - 3,712,887
Uttar Pradesh (West) & Uttarakhand - 3,372,808
Haryana - 1,341,146
Uttar Pradesh (East) - 1,457,570
Rajasthan - 1,062,526
Himachal Pradesh - 117,253
Mumbai - 178,378
Bihar & Jharkhand - 73,987
- For two straight years, IDEA Cellular won GSM Association Award for “Best Billing and Customer Care Solution.”
- By acquiring Spice Telecom for more than more than Rs. 270 million, a subsidiary of Modi Group, IDEA Cellular entered in Karnataka and
Punjabcircle in 2008. After acquisition, the name of the company was changed from Spice to IDEA.
- Shortly after acquiring Spice Telecom, IDEA Cellular signed an eight year contract with IBM, one of the leading IT companies in the world. Under the contract, IBM will provide IDEA Cellular various technical assistance to transform necessary applications and hardware of Spice Telecom. IBM would also manage all the IT operations and services of IDEA in
- In 2009, IDEA Cellular struck a partnership deal with World Wide Media Private Limited and the Times Group-BBC Worldwide joint venture to organize the 54th Bollywood Filmfare Award ceremony, the most prestigious award ceremony in the Indian film industry. IDEA Cellular launched a number Value Added Services for its mobile phone subscribers in
- Abhishek Bachchan, son of legendary Bollywood actor, Amitabh Bachchan, and husband of former beauty queen, Aishwarya Rai is a brand ambassador for IDEA Cellular.
Useful Links:(This entry was first published in February 2009. Because of a technical problem, the entry had to be deleted and I am reposting again now.)