Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pakistan Mobile Phone Operators Competing with Value Added Services

For how many years, have you been using a mobile phone? I have been using for quite sometime. I remember that a decade ago, I had no idea about SMS or MMS. I was thinking of the mobile phone sector of Pakistan today. Now, mobile pone penetration is very high in the country and the mobile phone operators cannot see a lot of room for growth. So, they have to try to increase Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) by providing more and more value added services (VAS).

Right now, the mobile phone operators in Pakistan provide a number of Value added services. You can browse Internet, get latest news updates, horoscope etc. Well, I feel that mobile commerce (m-commerce) should be given more priority in the country. Of course, for it, the operators need a lot of support from the government. What I understand is that in America, you can do a lot of things with your mobile phone. The same thing needs to be done in Pakistan too.

(This entry was first published in February 2009. Because of a technical problem, the entry had to be deleted and I am reposting again now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment