Mobile Phone has become one of the most common gadgets we now use in our daily lives. In South Asia,
Tata Group is one of the leading business conglomerates in
Tata started its foray into the telecom sector in 1996. In December 2002, Tata Teleservices acquired Hughes Telecom (
Tata Teleservices was the first Indian company to introduce CDMA 3G1x technology mobile network in
TTSL offers a wide range of high quality user friendly services. They are:
- Mobile services
- Wireless Desktop Phones
- Public Booth Telephony and Wireline services
- Voice portal
- Post-paid Internet services
- 3-way conferencing
- Group calling
- Wi-Fi Internet
- USB Modem
- Data cards
- Calling card services
At present, TTSL has the largest retail presence in
Franchise with Virgin mobile:
In order to attract the young generation, in March 2008, Tata Indicom and Virgin Mobile, a
Virgin Mobile phone service is targeted toward young people between 14 and 25 years of age. Virgin Mobile is a UK-based mobile company founded by Richard Branson. Initially, the service was offered in fifty Indian cities. By December 2008, the officials targeted to spread the service in 1000 cities. In the initial stage, Virgin mobile targeted million base subscribers and generate revenue in the next three years. The company offered mobile handsets ranging from $50 to $125.
- In March 2008, Tata Indicom subscriber base reached a hopping 24.3 million in the wireless category and its over all subscriber base was more than 25 million.
- TTSL maintained a compound annual growth rate of 113% in the wireless segment.
- In Delhi NCR region, TTSL gained the second slot removing Vodafone with a subscriber base of 3 million.
- In November 2008, Tata Teleservices sold out 26% of its stake to Japanese telecom giant NTT DOCOMO for $2.7 billion.
- TTSL pioneered the VAS (Value Added Services) in
- Some of the major Bollywood stars endorsing Tata Indicom are: Kajol, Trisha, Irfan Pathan, Pooja Ruparel and Saurav Ganguly.
- Tata Indicom’s Freedom Call Voucher television commercial was highly appreciated. The TV commercial stars Pooja Ruparel and Kajol. Pooja Ruparel sits in the locker-room holding a stop watch on one hand and talking to her friend over the phone non stop. She was worried about talk time. Then, Kajol enters and gives her Tata Indicom’s freedom call offer which ensures free unlimited talk time.
- In 2007, Synovate, a leading market research firm, conducted a survey which revealed that Tata Indicom was voted number one by Television viewers in major Indian metropolitan areas in September.
- Tata also gives services in remote villages in
at a very low cost. There are mobile vans that go to different villages and operates as customer touch points. Trained TTSL officials visit different villages on particular days of a week selling recharge vouchers and service equipments. Each person covers 200-300 people. India
- In 2007, Tata Indicom launched an online portal named ichoose. Through these web-portals, users of Tata phones and interested people can buy phones and recharge their phones online.
- In October 2007, Tata Zone, an infotainment service for Hindi speaking Indians. There are various applications such as Cricket, Faith and Prayers, Bollywood and
Hollywoodmovies, News, Astrology, Funzone, and Games. Users can also download ringtones and wallpapers.
- In March 2008, Tata Indicom launched a free-of-cost i-Help Emergency service. Available to all the pre-paid and post-paid phone users of TTSL, i-Help enables the user to connect with his/her family anytime. Under this facility, users would have access to three local numbers. In case of emergency, s/he would dial *44 and Tata will send SMS to his close ones.