Saturday, July 3, 2010

New Chelsea Signing Yossi Benayoun: I had Offers from Other Clubs, but chose the Blues

Yossi Benayoun completed his £6 million move to Chelsea on Friday and the Israel international is now looking forward to start playing for his new club as soon as possible.

After signing a three-year contract with the West London club, Benayoun has revealed that he had offers from other clubs, but he did not consider any of them when Chelsea revealed their interest.

The 30-year-old winger, who can also play as an attacking midfielder, has also said that choosing Chelsea as his future destination was an easy decision for him and he would now work hard to help Chelsea win trophies.

Benayoun said to the media, “…There are a lot of good players, big players (in Chelsea). For me it is the beginning and I have to work hard and prove I can bring something to this club. The only thing I can promise is I will work hard and do my best, and hopefully it will be good enough.

…I had offers from a few teams, but when Chelsea came in for me it was the obvious and only thing to think about, and I am glad it came out in the end.”

Yossi Benayoun joined Liverpool on a four-year deal in 2007 in a move away from West Ham United. He represented Liverpool in 92 Premier League matches and scored 18 goals during his 3-year stint at the Merseyside club. Last summer, Benayoun was handed a two-year contract extension by Liverpool in their attempt to keeping his future committed to Liverpool till 2013.

Though Benayoun has been playing in England for the last 5 years, he is yet to win any title in the country. In fact, he did not win any title outside Israel in his career. So, his move to Chelsea is pretty much justifiable because at the age of 30 he does not have many years left in his career and he would now like to win some titles before hanging his boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment