Thursday, July 1, 2010

Olympic Champion Jenny Thompson Attacked by Burglars

A 12-time Olympic medalist, Jenny Thompson, has so far been known as a great swimmer, but the kind of bravery she showed Monday night can even outshine her bravery displayed in the pool.

The 37-year-old came under attack when two burglars attempted to steal her Vespa scooter, but she fought off both of them and started screaming loudly seeking help from the people around. The burglars ran off when other people came in for her help. The incident happened in Brookline, Massachusetts.

Thompson got hurt in her nose, knees and arms and cut at some places in her body. Police and ambulance reached thereafter and she got necessary treatment.

She told to WBZ-TV, "The first thing they did was punch me in the face, so my gut instinct was to fight.

I fought them off and was screaming at the top of my lungs and people came out of the houses.

I was screaming so loud, I didn't know I could scream so loud. I was screaming 'Help! Help me! I'm being attacked!' and I think that helped."

Jenny Thompson is considered as one of the most decorated swimmers in the history of Olympics. Out of her 12 Olympic medals, 8 were gold which she won while representing USA in relays. No other female swimmer could win more gold medals in the history of Olympic Games.

Later on, local police arrested three persons with stolen scooters. However, it is not yet known if they were the men who attacked Thompson.

No doubt, Jenny Thompson has shown exemplary bravery in the incident. It seems this unfortunate incident has revealed another side of this great swimmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment