Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Steven Gerrard to Continue for England National Team

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed his desire to extend his international career, despite England’s poor show in the World Cup. England got out of the ongoing tournament at the round of 16 after being thrashed by Germany 4-1.

Steven Gerrard, in the absence of injured regular captain Rio Ferdinand, led the Three Lions and was perhaps the best England player in the tournament.

He said to the Liverpool official website, “There is no way I want the disappointment of the Germany game to be my last for England.
It was such a low and I am determined to do as much as I can to make amends for what happened.
I expect there to be a lot of changes to the squad and it is up to the manager whether I am selected, but I am going to continue to make myself available for my country.”

Coach Fabio Capello, who fortunately survived in the job, is now believed to bring some changes in the squad and there is a possibility experienced and aged player could come under axe. Gerrard, at 30, however, does not seem to be in danger as his performance in the World Cup was pretty much satisfactory.

Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid who already have a £20 million bid rejected for the player. Liverpool has reportedly valuated the player in the region of £35 million.

Gerrard has already become a legend at Anfield, but it seems less likely that the cash-trapped club would be able to keep hold on their captain.

No comments:

Post a Comment