Friday, August 27, 2010

Tata Nano Car caught fire in New Delhi

On August 27, 2010, in New Delhi, Tata Nano, the cheapest car of the world produced by Tata Motors, caught on fire.  
The incident took place in South Delhi around noon near Uphaar cinema hall in Green Park. Fortunately, no one was hurt.
A Green Park official said that there were sparks from the rear of the car immediately after switching on the ignition and within a few minutes, fire spread out all over the car and destroyed it. A fire tender was brought instantly and the fire was stopped within few minutes.
This is the sixth incident of a Nano catching fire in India. The previous incidents took place in Mumbai, Lucknow, Delhi and near Vadodara in Gujarat.
Tata spokesman Debasis Ray said, “We will investigate the incident,……We had subjected the car to a thorough check and the team had concluded that the Nano is absolutely safe.” However, he did not comment on any possible reason behind such fire.
On May 21, 2010, the company said that a 20-member team of Tata Motors along with an independent forensic expert looked to find out the reasons of the cars catching fire. The team declared that Tata’s “People’s car” was “absolutely safe.” The team did not found any manufacturing defects in the cars. 
The investigation team also said that igniting of a foreign object in contact with the car’s hot exhaust system caused one fire while another incident was caused by a ruptured fuel line.    
The company also announced to start a program to check all the Nanos it sold in order to ensure customers that the cars are safe but it was not a recall. 

4 comments:

  1. I m a big fan of this car.the blessing of ppl who could not afford to buy a car.I think that 50% or more of the bike owners may get a lot of good work done widout effort.

    london stansted

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a proud owner of a brand new Maruti Van MPFI engine. This vehicle on a cold morning at 4 AM when I started exploded into flames. Fortunately me and my wife had a narrow escape. The reason : Rats chewed off the Rubber Fuel hose and the petrol on switching the ignition dripped on to the Starting motor. fortunately I had the presence of mind to switch off the ignition and run for escape. Moral: Rats can bite off the fuel lines made of rubber. Positioning of the fuel lines are a thing to be looked into.
    with regards
    Dr.K.Jithendranath jithendranath@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. They need to develop Tata Nano to conform to safety vehicle measures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The compact car in Tata Nano seem safe, and a single incident of it catching fire is not proof enough that it immolates for no reason.

    ReplyDelete