On Mach 25, 2009, Hindustan Motors Ltd. (HM) and Mitsubishi Motors launched Montero 09 in
The launching ceremony took place in “Autodrome,” the latest HM-Mitsubishi’s showroom in Mumbai. Located at the ground floor of Atria Mall in Worli, one of the top business districts of Mumbai, it is the second showroom wholly owned by HM-Mitsubishi. The showroom was opened with the launch of Mitsubishi Montero 09. It has all the major “retail-design features” of Mitsubishi Motors and will showcase high-end cars produced by Mitsubishi Motors.
R Santhanam, Managing Director, Hindustan Motors Ltd. launched the Mitsubishi Montero 09. He said that Mumbai had been one of the fastest growing markets of the company over the past few years and there is a rising demand of luxury cars in the Atria Mall area. It is very important for a company to always remain present in the market and build up a sustainable business. Bringing the new Mitsubishi Montero 09 to Worli was the next strategic move for the company. Among others, Y.V.S. Vijay Kumar, Executive Vice-Presdient and SBU Head-Chennai Car Plant, Hindustan Motors Ltd., was also present in the show.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 comes with new chrome-plated front grill.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 has seven spoke 17” light alloy wheels with Yokahama tubeless radials that enable the vehicle to go off-road with ease.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 comes with a 3.2 litre turbo-charged intercooled diesel engine that produces 164bhp.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 is available in automatic transmission and 5-Speed manual transmission.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 has independent suspension system on all wheels.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 has Active Stability and Traction Control (ASTC).
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 comes with monocoque style body.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 has cruise control.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 comes with dual SRS airbags, front side airbags and two curtain airbags.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 has three point ELR seat belts with pre-tensioners.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 comes with front disc brakes with 4-pot calipers.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 has multi information display.
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 comes with a superior 860 watt
acoustic design premium sound system with 12 speakers, 5.1 Channel theatre surround, in dash 6 CD changer and audio control in steering. Rockford
- The Mitsubishi Montero 09 has 383 Nm torque.
Now Mitsubishi adopted a new pricing policy titled “one country, one price.” Under this policy, both the automatic and manual transmission version will have same price. The Mitsubishi Montero 09 will be available as a “Completely Built Unit” and imported directly from
Flat sales and price hike:
Due to the global economic downturn, Indian economy is in bad shape and Hindustan Motors is expecting “flat sales” of its Mitsubishi model cars. In the last seven months, car sales in
In the launching ceremony, Y.V.S. Vijay Kumar told reporters that his company sold around 650 Mitsubishi Montero in the past three-and-a-half years. Aside from Mitsubishi Montero, Hindustan Motors sells Lancer, Cedia, and the Pajero of Mitsubishi. Vijay Kumar told reporters that his company is planning to increase the price of Mitsubishi model cars from April in an attempt to fill up the sales margin gap.
(This entry was originally published in March 2009.)