Sunday, July 5, 2009

Michael Jackson funeral ticket: What to Do?

It seems that everyone wants to have a Michael Jackson funeral ticket. At least, Google Trends suggest it to us. So, if you can get one then you are lucky and then you do not need read my entry. Instead, celebrate for getting a ticket. However, if you are a lucky one then you can continue reading my entry. I know that you are upset and unhappy. Well, try to think that your idol Michael Jackson was doing in the days of his life. According to Media reports, one of the things that he did in his few days of life was to read the poems of Rabindranath Tagore, a Bengali poet.

So, why not do the same thing? However, before everything, do you know who was Tagore? If you want to know about him then I have to direct you to Wikipedia’s entry on him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabindranath_Tagore

I have plan to write about these two figures: Tagore and Jackson. Anyway, I am really curios to know that why the King of Pop became interested to read poems of a Bengali poet. Well, Tagore liked to think himself as a world citizen and his poems reflect universal values and spirits. That is why he got Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913.

I think that last year, Matt Harding caused sensation with a dancing video in Internet. The song of the video was based on a poem of Tagore.

I am giving here translation of another very beautiful poem of Tagore:

Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;

Where knowledge is free;

Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;

Where words come out from the depth of truth;

Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;

Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;

Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action ...

Into that heaven of freedom, my father, let my country awake.

Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment