Friday, July 16, 2010

Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Captain Sweden in Netherlands Friendly in August

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has decided to come out of his international retirement ahead of Sweden’s friendly affair against World Cup runner-up Netherlands in August 2010. Sweden’s new coach, Erik Hamren, has also revealed that the Barcelona striker would be the captain of Sweden for the match.

Ibrahimovic showed no interest to carry on his job for Sweden following his country’s failure to qualify for the World Cup 2010 finals. However, the 28-year-old has now revealed his desire to play for Sweden again and is eagerly waiting to work with new coach Erik Hamre.

About his return to international football, Ibrahimovic said to the media, “I got a craving and wanted to be there myself. If I'm chosen for the next game [against Scotland in Solna on 14 August] I'll be there. I missed the national team, missed playing for the Swedish people and wearing the shirt.

I am proud [to be captain], it feels fantastic and I'll do my best to be the leader that Erik wants me to be.”

Erik Hamre took over as the Sweden coach following the resignation of Lars Lagerback in November 2009 in the wake of Sweden’s failure to qualify for the World Cup.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is now under pressure following his unimpressive debut season with Barcelona since his big-money move from Inter Milan. Reports available in the media suggest that Barcelona could even offload Ibrahimovic this summer. Even if he stays, he would find himself pushed down further in the pecking order following Barcelona’s new signing David Villa.

No comments:

Post a Comment