Sunday, February 7, 2010

Interview of Teoh Pang Kee: Imaging Consultant

Teoh Pang Kee is a famous imaging consultant in South East Asia. He worked with Canon for eighteen years and then started to work as a freelance consultant. He is based in Malaysia. Canon brought him to Dhaka to share his expertise with the photographers and photo enthusiasts of Bangladesh. He gave an interview on 19 November 2009 and here it is for the readers:
Razib Ahmed: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Teoh Pang Kee: I am working in Canon for the last eighteen years. Currently, I am heading the professional division for the last three and half years. Before that I worked as an Acer Imaging consultant. This is my first time in Bangladesh and I like this country.

Razib Ahmed: So now, who are your biggest clients? Canon?
Teoh Pang Kee: I am currently setting up a training program in Malaysia. In addition, I travel to Nepal and try to support Canon Users. Currently, I am working at the regional office of Canon in Singapore. I am organizing workshops on behalf of Canon. First, I did a workshop in Nepal, then in Myanmar and then in Dhaka. Next month, I will conduct another workshop in Cambodia. By the end of the month we will be in India. I work with professional photographers to help them to know about the features of their cameras.
 Razib Ahmed: So, you have been to various countries and met many photographers. What do you think of the Bangladeshi photographers that you have met so far?
Teoh Pang Kee: Here I see a lot of enthusiastic photographers but the most important thing is photography is still a growing market. It has not been established yet in Bangladesh but there are many photographers who are very much passionate about their crafts. I have met some very good photographers and I believe that photography has a huge potential in Bangladesh. I am planning to do my next photo expedition in Bangladesh. Bangladeshi photographers have good chance to compete in the International arena.


Razib Ahmed: Just a few minutes ago, you were talking about ten mega pixel camera is enough to take good pictures. There is a notion among many people that they should go for expensive camera to take good pictures. What do you think about this matter?
Teoh Pang Kee: Actually, Canon produces camera based on the needs of its users. But Canon also has its own megapixel technology and they always try to give users, cameras with highest productivity. For this reason, even in the entry level Canon cameras, you will find ten mega pixel cameras. It also produces camera with fifteen and eighteen megapixel capacity. Canon produces its own sensor compared to its rivals. So, when you compare Canon’s cameras with other products in the market, you will find out that low range Canon cameras can take good pictures but they would not perform in extreme conditions like those cameras used by professional photographers.

Razib Ahmed: You have done a seminar and a workshop and you met many professionals and amateur photographers. So, in which area do you think they require further improvement? Is there any general trend in photography in Bangladesh that they should focus more?
Teoh Pang Kee: You see photography is an International language. Since we are all photographers we can communicate with each other by photography but I believe that in order to improve further whether it is in Bangladesh or any part in the world photographers should get together more and this is the best way to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment